Sunday, December 19, 2010

All Aboard!

On Friday the 10th, after David brought the boys' favorite fast food home for their dinner, we told them we were going on an adventure. We had them put on their pajamas and slippers, grab blankets, and we hit the road. First stop, Grammy and Grampy's to drop Max off for a few hours. Not sure who gets more spoiled, the baby or the grandparents, but I think everyone loves when there is just one child to love on all evening.

And away we went. Off to ride... The train station was a little more than an hour from our house. Of course, it was already dark outside, Seth had his program the night before, and I think the boys were just a little tired. An hour long car ride about did them in. I think Luke was nearly asleep when we got there.
Here they are waiting in the train station. We told them on the way where we were going. But they immediately started asking questions about the movie and I was suddenly worried that the train ride couldn't compare and there would be great disappointment.
Getting ready to board the train. Mom and the boys. I feel the need to say that I had on a gray coat and dark jeans. I fear it looks a little like I was also wearing pajamas. I was not. There were adults who were. Not judging, just saying, I was not one of those parents! Thank you for allowing me that brief public service announcement!

Here is Luke, not long after we got going. I think he was noticing some Christmas lights. Or maybe the flashing train warning signs on the side of the road (?).

This was one of the events we needed our cookies for. They passed out some cookies, but between the lighting and the train's movement, and my terrible vision, I couldn't even read if they were okay for Luke. I did eat one later, but ours were better anyway. Although Seth didn't seem to think so. He insisted he only liked one color of the icing (but it was all the same icing, just food colored, not flavored). Anyway. We all got hot chocolate too, but all of those pictures seem to be of my hands balancing multiple white styrofoam cups.

They stamped tickets with the boys' initials for them. Pretty cool!

Seth looked at the book for awhile. They tell you that you must have the book. I envisioned the story being read, with great enthusiasm, over the loud speaker. Not so much. We could've lived without the book entirely, but Seth enjoyed looking at it and I enjoy looking at Seth looking at books so it was all alright.

This picture is supposed to show you all that the train did a little swaying back and forth. This will be important later.

The North Pole. Two little boys scoping out the North Pole. Santa emerged and then rode the train for a little while.

An uncharacteristically sheepish Luke. He wasn't so sure about Santa. Since then he has informed me that he doesn't want Santa to bring him presents. I asked why not. He said, "I just don't love toys." I'm wondering if the whole guy coming down the chimney thing is bothering him a bit.
This was plenty close for Luke, and that's fine with me. I'm not the biggest fan of Santa and the whole notion of it. I mean let's review - he delegates ALL of his work and yet still gets all of teh credit, takes really really long vacations after the holidays, likely will never grow up, and lacks all fashion sense.
And this, I was desperately hoping this was the look of a little boy who had had SO much excitement that he just couldn't stay awake for a moment more. Instead it was the look of a little boy who got very sick to his stomach (remember the swaying ornaments?), but did his very best to hide it. Until he threw up in the car on the way home. I kept asking and asking, 'are you sure you're okay?' and 'is your belly okay?' And he kept answering, 'I'm fine.' At one point I said, "Are you going to get sick?" He answered, "No." And that was true, he just left out the part that he had already gotten sick! He didn't confess until the next morning that he started feeling crummy on the train. So, I didn't want him to sleep in his room (also Luke's room) and further contaminate Luke if he had the stomach flu. But we have a large L-shaped couch so he slept on one end and I slept on the other end and we left the Christmas tree on all night. I've always wanted to sleep by the tree but have never been able to justify giving up the good night of sleep I would get in my bed. So, this was a good excuse. And he never got sick again, thankfully! Poor baby. Also, thankfully, he still talks about the train ride with great enthusiasm.
On the way home, Luke said, "Daddy, Wukey is tired." Then about 30 seconds later, "Daddy! Wukey is still tired!" So funny.
So, it was a good time, but not one we will probably repeat too soon, mostly because Seth apparently doesn't handle trains so well. Guess we won't be planning a cross-country via Amtrak vacation anytime soon!

No comments: