Tuesday, April 21, 2009

So, how did you spend your weekend?

Our weekend started Friday afternoon. David, who went to the doctor Thursday and found out he had an ear infection and a sinus infection, was kind enough to come home from work so I could go to the doctor and find out I had pharyngitis. Not so sure what that is, but it felt a bit like having been run over by a small truck. AND my voice was nearly gone and we just can't have that! It's hard to bark orders when they can't be heard!! Oh, I must share that the nurse, on her way out of the room, said, "I hope you can get some rest this weekend." Ha ha ha. Ha.

So, I digress for a moment and must confess something to my faithful blog readers: I was mom to the oldest child still sleeping in a crib. But you must know, we tried once before to convert his crib to a daybed and he absolutely would have NONE of it - cried, screamed, finally fell asleep on his floor, begged for Daddy to "fix" the bed before bedtime. Also, he has never once attempted to get out of his crib on his own [further digression: I do not believe Luke will spoil us like this. Occasionally I go in to get Luke out of his bed and find all of his stuffed dogs and his blanket are on the floor. I'm convinced he's testing to see how they land, just in case he decides to join them.]
Okay, back to post-doctor's visit Friday: I arrived home to a completely paint-taped room (chair rails make this twice as much work - unless you are an excellent free hand painter, which I am NOT, and trimming is generally my job when we are painting). David had taped some Thursday night and I had attempted to tape some more Friday morning, although maneuvering around Seth and his toys was a little challenging at times. When I got home Friday, I also found Seth attempting to nap in our room. For better or worse, Seth was trained from his second day home from the hospital that sleeping either happened in his own crib, or sometimes in Daddy's arms (okay, I might be a little guilty there too). It wasn't so much intentional as it is that I like my sleep. But he is not good at sleeping anywhere else, so the nap didn't really happen, but he did watch a movie and look at some books for a long time SO David went to pick up the mattress and I started painting. We were able to finish all of the dark blue, on the bottom half of the walls, Friday afternoon and evening. There was time to start the lighter blue for the top of the walls, but I was too tired and getting even sloppier in my painting than usual so I begged off. We were able to reassemble the room enough that Seth could sleep there and not be uprooted Friday night. Dave went to a friend's house (I stayed home to feel miserable in the comfort of my own home). I got the boys in bed and went from feeling icky to really icky. I don't think I have ever been so excited to get up and be able to take another dose of antibiotic as I was Saturday morning!


But a Paint Princess just cannot be contained. So, we tried to send Dave, Seth and Luke outside to play in the morning while I painted. Unfortunately, we have multiple neighbors who mistakenly think the phrase "it takes a village" applies to dogs. Seth does not care much for real dogs. He LOVES stuffed dogs and dogs on TV and dogs in other people's yards if we are driving by. He says, "aaaaawwwwwwwwwww". Every time. Without fail. Even at a yard that we drive by all the time where there used to be a dog. {Do you think the antibiotics could be killing brain cells? Anyway...} The guys ended up inside, Luke opted for a nap and I'm not sure what Seth and Dave did, but I painted. Eventually, Dave came up and painted some too while we begged Seth not to cross the doorway into his own room.


We got a reprieve at lunchtime as we all gathered at the local Chinese food buffet to celebrate Aunt Gretchen's birthday. It was earlier in the week but she was just too busy to stop and party with us until Saturday. We came home and ran around the backyard with the boys for awhile to tire them out and get some much needed activity and fresh air! Then it was another nap for Luke - he really likes to sleep, but that's another post. And more lounging around for Seth - poor guy, at least it was his room being updated! Finally, Saturday afternoon we finished painting and it was time for bed assembly. We tried to involve Seth in a lot of the shopping, etc. so maybe this would be a fun change. He laid on the mattress at the store, he helped me (with a bit of nudging) pick out the bedding, he snuggled with the new bedding all the way through Target, etc. So, when it came time for assembling the bed, Seth got to "help" Daddy. He was even very excited to test out the bed after it was all put together and made. Grammy and Grampy brought dinner and oohed and aahed over the new room. They left a little after 8PM and the meltdown began. Poor Seth. Two days of no naps. AND upheaval in his sleeping arrangements. He started crying and screaming, "I want my old bed. I don't want this bed."

Thankfully, Dave is often more patient than me and I got Luke-duty while Dave took Seth-duty. He stayed with him for a half hour or 45 minutes. Seth eventually covered himself up and fell asleep. Of course, between the coughing and the waiting to hear him fall out of bed, I didn't get much sleep. About 3:30 (when I had finally been asleep about an hour) I heard him crying and went scurrying into his room. There he was, still right in the middle of the bed, all covered up. "I need a drink." And a drink he got. I think I was just relieved not to find him in the floor! And he has been fine since. The boys all played on the bed Sunday while I tried to get some more things under control (closet cleaning in Seth's closet, etc.). He has napped fine and slept fine at night, with the exception of needing to have his door left open a crack - but I can live with that much better than an hysterical meltdown!!

And I have become a big fan of Robitussin and it's ability to get me through the night rather peacefully. Yeah, modern medicine. Although I think Robitussin has been around since I was a kid, so not sure how modern it is.

The most disturbing part of the weekend for me though - my three year old has a better bed than Dave and me!! I'm a little jealous, really. And there are no pictures of the completed room yet as there are a few more items we need to complete it (purchases to be made, not much remaining manual labor). But, hopefully this weekend or next we will be able to finish it up and pictures will be posted. So, how DID you spend your weekend?

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Hope you're feeling better! I love your choice of room colors for Seth. Have you seen Nate and Ben's room? haha!