Friday, August 1, 2008

A swimsuit phobic mommy shows her love...

With the Olympics approaching, every parent probably dreams of what their child's athletic skills might be. Well, swimming is not Seth's. We went to Florida when he was 13 months old and he hated every minute of being in the water. Odd, as he loves to take a bath. I'm not a huge fan of water myself but determined early on that I want my children to love it, or at least be comfortable in and around it. So, we signed up for parent-tot swim lessons, or rather water awareness classes (much more bubble blowing than backstroking). Parent-tot meaning I had to get in too (yippee, me in a swimsuit, but a sacrifice I was willing to make for my Sethers). The lessons were twice a week for four weeks. I have to give him credit for making GREAT strides! During the first class he was actually shaking while screaming, "I NEED to go home and see my DADDY!!" My favorite was when I was supposed to stand him on the side and let him jump to me. If I actually let go he would make a mad dash away from the pool! But by the last night (last night), he was walking around in the shallow end, somewhat reluctantly, but walking a bit without clinging to me or crying. Progress indeed! He's not letting go, but he's also not screaming to go home!

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Yay! Congratultions on his graduation from water-awareness class! : ) All these stories and photos will be way too cute when he actually is a star high school swimmer!