Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ridiculously neat...


A friend of Dave's had extra tickets for the Lucas Oil Stadium tours this past weekend so we jumped at the chance to go. Okay, I think I jumped at the chance and Dave went along with it. I think he's hoping to go to a game and figures he could just see it all then. But I'm not so sure I'll get to a game so I thought it would be fun. It was a nice "date" as Grammy and Grampy kept the boys so we didn't have to fight the crowd with them. And the crowd was crazy!

Basically, you had two hours from your scheduled ticket time to give yourself a tour. The wait to see the VISITORS locker room was about 45 minutes. The wait to see the DOOR to the Colts locker room was just as long! Yikes. We decided on the visitor's locker room after a discussion of whether I had ever actually been inside a locker room (no, dear, marathon shopping is my only brush with athleticism and we don't need a locker room for that - just Starbucks!). Turned out we got to walk past the Colts locker room anyway, although this sign was seriously all you could see of it!
Dave did get into it and seemed to enjoy touching the turf. There were also a crazy amount of televisions, mostly huge, all over the place so he was very excited by all of those!



I guess technically I am scoring a touchdown as I am standing in the end zone. They kept making the same announcement, over and over and over again - no balls allowed on the field. They neglected to mention there were also no people allowed on the field, only in the one endzone and on the sidelines.


We had one brush with fame. We noticed a guy in a suit and all sorts of people standing around getting his autograph. Seemed exciting, then we realized it was Mr. Lucas homself. Not a talented ball player or a gifted musician but just a zillionaire whose name is plastered all over the building. We moved on to wait in another line.


So, all that to say, the whole building seems completely ridiculous but in a sort of neat, this-is-in-my-town, kind of way. So, if you like oversized and extravagant, this might be the place for you! It's certainly worth a look and I would be glad to go to a game there.


Oh yes, and to cap off our date I got hot chocolate from South Bend Chocolate downtown on Monument Circle. It is my absolute favorite hot chocolate, and I consider myself somewhat of an expert. Real milk and melty gooey chocolate, plus whipped cream, chocolate shavings, more gooey chocolate and finally a cherry on top. All for less than $3.00. See, I'm just a simple girl.

3 comments:

Pokey said...

I'm extremely jealous of this whole post. However, I have to thank you for the wonderful desktop picture on my desktop! I "borrowed" the picture of the signage.

Lynette said...

I'm extremely jealous of this whole post as well ... and I was there! I'm jealous of your nice pictures, your relaxed looking husband and the fact that you actually got to stand in the end zone. Oh - and the South Bend Chocolate Company treat at the end just tops it all off! : )

Cara said...

Matt - I'm surprised you chose the signage when my toes/feet were also an option!

Lynette - sorry your experience wasn't so fun. But we should visit So Bend together!!