Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Friday, September 5

Well, finally our vacation paper chain said "0 days, time to leave!" We had been counting down for about a month, tearing off a link each day. Our plan was for Dave to work part of the day then pick up the rental car in the afternoon while the boys and I napped. We would have a normal dinner and bathtime, then load the boys in the car in their jammies and let them sleep in the car while we drove. I would drive the first leg of the trip, having napped, and Dave could sleep awhile then take over driving while I rested. Ahhhh, the best laid plans. But that's not really what this post is about!

Most of the week was spent tweaking my lists, yes 3 of them - mine (clothes, toiletries, books and magazines, etc.), the boys (swim trunks, clothes, toys, food, bottles for Luke, etc.) and the car ride (snacks, sippy cups, baby food, a new toy or two, DVD's for the borrowed DVD player, etc.). And of course there was all the laundry to be done.
In the midst of all this "fun," the circus was in town. Seemed appropriate to me! Well, we couldn't make it to a performance but did hear that there would be some animals on the circle Friday around lunchtime. Clearly from the photos, the kids had had enough of mommy in packing/laundry mode! And I was feeling a bit guilty about how much Sesame Street Seth had seen during the week. So, I decided a diversion was in order.
I packed a lunch for Seth and timed out Luke's bottles just right so he would be good for the event. I dressed everyone in clothes that were appropriate to be seen in public but not yet packed into a suitcase. I loaded up the stroller and then both boys into the car. I drove downtown and parked in a parking garage. I got out the stroller, got both boys loaded into the stroller and trekked to the circle. Seth knew only that we were going to see animals, but not going to the zoo. Once we got to the circle, there was a Colts rally. So, the double stroller, the boys, and I fought through that crowd and tried to figure out where the animals were. We finally figured out, via the super loud Colts rally announcer, that the elephants were progressing through the streets of downtown, on their way to the circle. So, we made our way partway around the circle to have the best, least-obstructed view possible.
Then the elephants came by. And Seth cried hysterically and begged me to get him out of the stroller and hold him, all the while refusing to look at the elephants.
The end.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jill said...

HA HA! So funny, Cara. Sounds a little like the pool experience! The things we do go so unappreciated sometimes, huh?? Can't wait to hear all about the vacation!

Lynette said...

Too funny! I love your last line ... sums up all of the big adventures we moms plan that don't turn out quite as wonderful as we had dreamed!