Saturday, April 10, 2010

In which I discuss how stupid pregnancy hormones make me act...

Friday night/Saturday morning, Luke was crying about 2AM. I desperately wanted to kick Dave in the shin but since rolling that direction would've required obvious effort I decided to just get up and handle it myself. Usually if Luke cries during the night, it's a quick trip into his room, he asks to be "covered" and maybe for a drink (sippy cup of water is positioned just outside his door) and it's back to bed. However, this night Luke was standing in his bed, holding his favorite blanket, begging me to "seat down." Normally I would've begged back, about covering up and going back to sleep, etc., but for some reason I opted to just do what he asked. I picked him up and sat down in the recliner in his room. Put up the foot rest and snuggled in.


And in doing so I got cuddled back. That's the thing about Luke. At two years old, I would say he holds you right back. He had an arm around my neck and an arm around what used to be my waist my side and his head on the other shoulder. And he snuggled in and fell asleep. And I sat in that chair and cried. Stupid ridiculous hormonal tears of "soon he won't be my baby" and "will I have time to hold him like this once I have a new baby?" and "he's going to be moved out of his room with all the puppy stuff and shoved into a big boy room full of cars and trucks" and on and on and on....


And then I composed myself and put this beautifully sleeping little boy back into his bed. He laughed as I covered him up. And in the light of day it seems mostly insane that I sat and cried. Because I remember having some of those same concerns with Seth. And I think we all survived that pretty well. But, yikes, these raging prego hormones make me feel a wee bit insane!


**Moving on - I resolved crazy obsession number one and got a diaper bag over the weekend. And a purse and a couple of accessories to go with. It was a collaboration between myself and my mom (well, my parents, but mom had to endure the shopping with me). So, thanks parents!! Now, moving on, I'm starting to obsess about hospital things - clothes to pack, when to let the boys come up and meet the baby, etc. And I still have a few weeks before any of it really matters. Oh, crazy hormones.

2 comments:

Jill said...

well, at least you have an excuse, Cara!! love to you and your crazy self!!

Marilyn said...

Thanks for sharing your precious moments with Luke ....... Sending love and hugs to a wonderful mommy for two very special little boys and she'll be just as great with three :) :)