Saturday, April 3, 2010

birthday birthday party party

Cheater. I'm calling myself out. Luke's birthday is in February. Seth's birthday is in April. They had one party in March. Yes, it's probably cheating. But these parties send me back into control freak overdrive and I just didn't need that stress twice! Plus, I didn't feel bad buying fun decorations (they chose a fire truck theme as they both adore fire trucks) and my loving husband generously agreed to purchasing prepared food since it was only one party!
So, the boys and I (reminder: one just turned two, and one is not quite four) spent the second half of the week "cleaning." Meaning, I cleaned; they destroyed; I cleaned again; they destroyed again; I got overly cranky and nasty; they, in turn got overly whiny and nasty. Enough about that.
The big day arrived. I did some last minute cleaning touch ups. Dave ran to get fire truck balloons (because it's not a party at my house without balloons). My favorite person in the entire world (okay, so I don't even know her name really) came to my house with warm Mexican food, set it all up on my clean counters, lit little warming candles under the warm stuff, put up little labels for the different kinds of salsa, took her mess with her, and hit the road. Everyone ate warm food, and hopefully as much as they wanted, since I ate it for two or three meals after they left!
The boys opened way too many gifts and thoroughly enjoying ripping into each and every one of them. Seth was even heard to exclaim "No way!" I was a little worried our guests would mistake their enthusiasm for greediness, but I kept reminding myself of their ages and their excitement.

Then we finished off the party with cupcakes (iced by my wonderful husband, who took over this task after my exasperation became evident to him all the way on the couch in the family room) and homemade ice cream. In all fairness, he was the one who suggested I get out the fancy icing shooter and "make them prettier." Unfortunately, prego here is not complaining about the leftover ice cream. Although my doctor might at the next appointment!
All in all I'd say it was a pretty great day. Luke never got a nap so he ate dinner about 6:15 with his eyes closed. I think I could've joined him! Have I mentioned lately how much I adore these two and how every bit of the cleaning was worth it to watch them thoroughly enjoy their day?!?

2 comments:

Jill said...

combining kid birthday parties--I think you've struck gold with THAT idea!!

Marilyn said...

Sounds like a perfectly delightful day for everyone and great pictures to hold-on to the memories! I heard the food was first-class! Sending our "Happy Birthday" wishes to Seth & Luke!