Friday, June 13, 2008

Talking...

My sister and I were talking today about how much we like to hear our children talk. Sure, there are days that I think, "if I have to hear 'MOMMY' one more time I might cry", but I would never trade my little talkers for peace and quiet. I did use the plural there as Luke is doing some crazy jabbering lately. Besides the normal cooing, he has a really loud noise he lets out every once in awhile and I'm amazed that it came from such a small little body! But Seth has, of course, progressed well beyond jabbering! Having the privilege of being with him all the time means that I am pretty good at interpreting for him when necessary.

Today I was heading downstairs and wanted him to come with me. His response was, "hang on, wait a minute!" [Do you think he's heard that before?].

Yesterday we went downtown for the Strawberry Festival and I think he asked 25 times, "Where am I going?" I did finally have to fake a smile and tell him he was going the place I told him he was going 10 seconds ago and he would need to sit quietly while mommy tried to park the car.

But I think my favorite was Wednesday's desperate cry. He knows he's not supposed to go upstairs without mommy or daddy. He also knows if I'm feeding Luke he can get away with more because I'm a little less mobile. So, he suddenly sounded distant and I called for him, "Seth, where are you?" "On the stairs." I replied, "Can you get down or do you need help?" His response, "I need mommy, mommy." Just like, 'I need a drink, mommy.' Except that mommy was what mommy was supposed to bring this time. So, I rescued and then asked, "Did you learn a lesson or do I need to put up the gate?" His response, "put up the gate." At least he knows he cannot resist the temptation.

Last night during his bath I hit my knee and said "ouch." His response was, "Do you want me to kiss it?" Who could resist that? Especially since a couple of days before he informed me he "didn't need lubin'" [loving]. As if that would stop me!

All this to say, I have had many people tell me, oh just wait until they start talking and then you'll wish they weren't. Not true. Completely not true.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love this!! It's one of my favorite things too. I love when they say things wrong. I don't want it to end, but I guess I don't want my 14 year-old to say "I were wunnin', Mom."