Friday, September 2, 2011

An Open Letter

Dear Miserable Heat,

Well, you've hung around all summer.  You've been a tireless companion, breaking records with all of those days you wanted to love on us.  You've caused me to stay inside more than I would have liked. You've likely led to a vitamin D deficiency, which has likely made me a less pleasant person.  You've caused me to mutter, "It's just too hot out," more times than I care to recall.  You've caused my children to be stuck in the house, learning new wrestling techniques to make me crazy (er).

I tolerated it when you insisted that you go on vacation with me.  You even tagged along on my girls trip, causing me to melt five minutes after spending an hour getting all dressed up. 

The electric company thanks you for the boost to their economy.  The water company didn't even want to deal with you anymore, asking us to just let our grass burn to a brown crisp. 

But now, I have a small request.  I've been (sort of) patient.  I've tried to tolerate your constant presence.  However, I beg of you, SLEEP IN tomorrow morning.  I know, I know - you can't just stay away, even if it is September.  However, it's a small request.  I need a few overcast few hours to walk a smidge over 13 miles.  After that, I will likely collapse into a heap on my couch, at which time you can go back to wreaking havoc, because once again I will be hiding in the air conditioning.

Smooches, Cara

No comments: