Friday, September 9, 2011

Too good not to share

I have two new favorite recipes that I feel I must share.  These do not belong on a weight loss program, but rather a little splurge day.  Personally, I think they're great together, but I have a serious sweet tooth - most of you would probably have that too-much-sugar toothache...

Drink
First up is iced coffee.  It's insanely good and easy.  With the right creamer you'll think you paid $5 for your afternoon treat.  It's a Pioneer Woman recipe.  I can't think of anything of hers that I have not loved!  I tweaked the amounts because she makes 2 gallons at at time and even I can't drink it that fast, and I added a little flavoring...

Start with a container that will seal up nice and tight, to avoid a big mess.  I use 2 cups of coffee grounds (folgers decaf for me).  Put that in the container and then pour 3 quarts of cold water over the top.  Seal it up and let it sit for around 10 hours.  Did I mention patience is a virtue?  After about 10 hours, grab a pitcher, a ladle, funnel, and a gallon jug.  Strain through doubled up cheesecloth into the first pitcher.  Then strain a second time by pouring through another piece of doubled up cheesecloth into the funnel and into the gallon jug.  Now, put the lid on and put it in the refrigerator until it's nice and cold. Patience, patience.

While it's chilling go out and buy yourself one of those nice insulated cold cups with the screw on lid and nice heavy straw.  That's the only thing I can make mine in, proportionally speaking.  Once the coffee is cold, fill your cup 2/3 full of ice.  Add coffee nearly to the top.  Add 2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk and 1 generous tablespoon of your favorite liquid coffee creamer.  I prefer the caramel, but that's just me.  French vanilla is nice too.  Give it all a good stir, send the kiddos to their rooms, and enjoy five minutes of 'me' time.

It's awesome because, while it takes a little while, there's really not much to it.  AND, I have this odd  mental block where sometimes I get everyone settled for an afternoon rest and I think, "ooh, now I can go get some coffee."  Umm, yeah.  I've never actually left them (obviously) and the thought never lasts for more than about half a second, but now I don't have to feel guilty about those little mental lapses when "go get some coffee" just means walk out into the garage! 

Snack
Okay, brace yourselves.  This is my new favorite snack - s'mores caramel corn.  The boys love it on movie night.  But it would also be fantastic in goody bags, all prettied up with ribbon and bows.  Anyway, it's my favorite caramel corn recipe (thanks Jackie!) with some additional ingredients from here.  Follow the caramel corn recipe, but take about 2 cups of puffcorn out of the bag before you start.  You need a nibble while you're making it anyway.  After the caramel corn is done (the 45 minutes of baking and stirring), remove from oven and add in 3 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows and 2 1/2 cups of golden grahams cereal.  Place the pan back in the oven for 2-3 minutes.  Take it out and stir.  The marshmallows should get all gooey and no longer look like little round marshmallows, but rather little ribbons of marshmallowey goodness. 

Rather than just spreading it out on parchment paper, line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and then spread it out.  Heat some chocolate.  I prefer the Baker's cup of chocolate because it's super easy - you just pop it in the microwave in the bowl it comes in and voila.  Drizzle this over the top and then stick it in the fridge for the chocolate to set (hence the jelly roll pan rather than just the parchment paper).  After it's all set I store it in a big ziploc in the fridge.  Not that it needs much storing between Dave and the three boys (yes, Max is a fan) and me.  I'm the worst, I will confess! 

So, there you have it - a snack and a drink.  Or lunch as I've been known to call it on a rough day!

No comments: