Sunday, May 29, 2011

Party, party

This is a picture heavy post so I'll just tell the story mostly with picture captions:
Our new balloon wreath. My mom has a bit of a wreath obsession (sorry, Mom) so I got some grief about my own potential wreath obsession with this one. But, I plan to hang it up for each of the birthdays every year. It was super easy to make (except my fingers got a little sore from pushing in the pins, but it was well worth it!). Found it here.
Then I put the cricut machine to work. I used it to cut all the ovals and the letters for the banner. I cut the triangles free hand with just a little measuring and marking. I went with different colors of ribbon for a more playful childlike feel. And I think the clothespins are just fun. This table held Max's first year scrapbook and some favors for our party guests - chocolate drizzled caramel corn. I seriously recommend you make this stuff! It's easy and so yummy. I had leftover melted chocolate from one of the desserts so I just drizzled some over the caramel corn while it was cooling on the parchment paper.






Just some of the balloons. Max loves balloons. I know Seth did NOT care for balloons at his first birthday party and I don't remember Luke's reaction, but Max loves them so we used a lot of them. I was thrilled to find these turquoise ones, quite by accident, the night before the party.



Then we had some yummy food. My mom bought these great warming trays and I think I might be the only one who's used them so far. They worked great. We made little smokies with bacon and brown sugar and baked them in the oven then transferred them to the trays and they were still really good after awhile in the warming tray. I also made little cards that said what the food was because it makes me crazy to have to answer that question over and over (just a strange quirk of mine).


I loved how a lot of the food was inspired by friends/family - a dip recipe from my oldest and closest friend, a chicken wrap recipe from my sister, a buffalo chicken dip recipe from a couple of different friends.








I made this banner with a picture of Max from each month over the last year. It was fun to see how much he has changed.

Normally, I would opt for food, then gifts, then dessert. But, I knew a few people had other places to be and I didn't want anyone to miss out on dessert so we did food, dessert, gifts this time. The dessert was cake pops and chocolate chip cookie dough truffles with a few cupcakes too.




It's tough to see the glowing candle, but it's there. I also used the cricut to cut out the balloon shapes and letters for his little high chair banner. I thought he might cry when we all started singing but he handled it pretty well.


He started out calm and rational with the cupcake - picked it up and took a bite out of it.



Then it started to crumble a bit, what with the impact of his mouth and hands. This caused a perplexed look.


Then there was a bit of angst that all this icing goo was sticking to his fingers.



Then there was the need to pick the icing goo off of his hands, which, of course, was not possible.



Then there was a bit of flinging to try to remedy the icing goo situation on his own.




Then there was the desperate plea for help.


Sure, dustbusting a person is a tad bit unconventional, but it worked (just on his shorts and shirt). Then it was wet washcloths and baby wipes in an alternating fashion until his fingers no longer felt like he would stick to the wall if he got too close to it.



Then we moved on to presents, which, of course, he had very little to do with. Seth and Luke opened pretty much everything, which was nice because at least it kept things moving!


Amazingly, I haven't seen either of the older boys try to replicate this yet.


After presents there was a lot of visiting and then everyone took their treat bags and left. I told David that I thought it was a bigger letdown than Christmas. NOT the party - I thought it was fun, just that it was over. I had spent the entire week cleaning, re-cleaning, grocery shopping, making cake balls and truffles, and then in a few hours it was just done.


Max was ready for a nap and the rest of us curled up with blankets and a movie. After Max got up we took his 12 month pictures with his last sticker (see previous post).



And then it was bedtime - at least for Seth and Luke. David had been invited to go out with some of his friends and declined the invite because it was Max's birthday, but since it was nearly Max's bedtime I didn't see why he should stay home so we decided he would go. I bathed Max, while I cried my pitiful little eyes out. Then Max got to play with his new toys for a few minutes, since the older two didn't really let him do that much when they were awake!


And that was how Max spent his first birthday - being loved on by friends and family. We love you, Max!

No comments: