Saturday, January 31, 2009

It's been a year?

It's hard for me to believe but my last day of work (the kind where you get dressed up and get a paycheck) was January 31, 2008. One year ago. To commemorate the occasion I would like to share a list of things I have learned as a stay-at-home mommy of two little boys...

Top ten ways to tell you're "mommy"-fied:
1. Your clothes are covered in smeared snot more often than not.
2. You love the snotty little cuddler so much that you don't care about all the snot.
3. You know what it means to treat mornings like a plane crash (take care of yourself first, aka shower if you want one, and then worry about the other oxygen masks).
4. You have been forced to secure the premises (cage the 11 month old) prior to your own bathroom break.
5. You remember what lunch is, and you prepare/feed it to others, but it never seems to cross your lips.
6. Your wardrobe consists of a couple pairs of jeans you wash every couple of days.
7. Nothing makes you more upset than arriving at the store just after they've cleared every cart from the parking lot. Really? I'm supposed to lug both of them from the car to the store in my arms?
8. You have ever placed your hand in front of the mouth of your choking/gagging child to catch whatever might come out.
9. You know which McDonald's are closest to the Starbucks.
10. And finally, you have ever emptied the pockets of one of your two pairs of jeans to find: a pacifier, 2 band-aid wrappers, a toy ball of trash, and a used kleenex.

6 comments:

gretchen said...

I am seriously laughing out loud (as is every other stay at home mom) at how TRUE this list is! I especially like #8, as you've witnessed me do this multiple times!!

Unknown said...

You are DEFINITELY "mama-fied" :) It's like being wrapped up in a tight strips of cloth and buried under a Sphinx, only the cat gets to live long after your mind has long since died and crossed the River Styx.

Lynette said...

You have the best way of saying what the rest of us are thinking! My particular favorite is #7, although, I'm usually scanning the lot for the 3 seater semi-truck carts ... the ones that make Nate seem like he is a mile away from me that are IMPOSSIBLE to drive! So happy that your count is backwards and not the one looking forward to that last day 'professional' working day! : )

Lynette said...

Are we allowed to comment on others' comments? (or is that just for you Facebook people)?? :)

Dawn, I've never heard it put better! :)

Unknown said...

I admit ignorance of Blog protocol, but feel free to say whatever you like about anything I have to say. :) Cara's list was pretty hilarious, and impossible to 'top.' It provided a good laugh - and hey, what Mommy can't use one of those one in awhile? (grin)

Jill said...

Good list, but unfortunately for me, I have never forgotten to eat lunch!!