Thursday, January 1, 2009

Away in a manger...

I think this is Seth's favorite Christmas song. Not only does he ask me to sing it repeatedly - one night I probably sang it 20 times in a row - he can also be heard singing it in his bed, via the monitor on our nightstand. He has most of the words down and you can tell what he's singing. One night I had to go in and ask if he could sing a little quieter so as not to wake Luke in the next room! Unfortunately, I have zero singing ability and I fear he may be joining me. Anyway, we have a Little People manger/nativity set and when you push the star on the top, it plays Away In A Manger. Seth has enjoyed becoming acquainted with Baby Jesus this season. The day that we first put up the Christmas decorations and unpacked the manger scene, Seth added some of his own accessory pieces. Can you pick out which item does NOT belong? Yes, the orange and yellow truck was probably not present at the time of Jesus' birth! Although in Seth's 2 year old mind, everyone digs dirt. One day he asked me, "Did you see Baby Jesus digging the dirt?" Then there was the night of the attempted Christmas card photos. When Seth decided he was done with pictures, he announced that Baby Jesus was cold and would need to be held. I thought the picture had potential, but, much like the other pictures, not so much...The same night there was an unfortunate earthquake nearby. Called Luke...And finally, poor Mary (or Married as Seth prefers to refer to her), has had some interesting jobs this holiday season. You will notice she is driving the fire truck and Baby Jesus is in the basket above. I believe this was the night that they came flying across the slick kitchen floor and Seth yelled, "Jesus is in the fire truck, kick them back to me!" Umm, we do not kick Baby Jesus anywhere! I hope you can all appreciate the mind of a 2 year old and not think less of me for allowing Mary to drive the fire truck or for allowing Baby Jesus to be "played with." My hope is that next Christmas season Seth will be using those same toys to tell Luke the Christmas story. Of course, he'll have to wrestle them away from Luke and his new Little People tractor where Joseph will probably be busy planting crops!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Very cute!!!
In KidsSHARE we stressed having children "experience" the lesson. Sounds like Seth would earn points for his creativity. :) :) :)