Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Whirlwind Weekend...

Halloween started off, well, sluggishly. Somewhere I went wrong and Seth tends to be a much worse sleeper than Luke. Seth was up three times during the night. Well, he refuses to move to a big bed and is still in his crib, so he cries and I am actually the one up, not Seth. So, on the third venture in to cover him back up, I asked WHAT he needed?! His reply, "Daddy." Well, I kindly explained Daddy was in bed. Asleep. Not getting up anytime soon. His reply this time, "Oh." Never heard from him again. So, Seth slept in Friday morning. Of course, it doesn't quite work out for mommy to sleep in!

Next we made some Halloween treats, Nutter Butter ghosts and vanilla wafer eyeballs. Yummy. Aunt G, Carson, and Laney all come over and helped us make them and eat them. Fun, fun. We got everything cleaned up, had lunch, and then I started packing for my weekend away. And tidying the house. And doing a little laundry. And putting other clothes away. And on and on. I finally got the boys both in bed and tried to rest up for the long drive but realized that my body still thought it was running around like a crazy person so that would never work.

Dave came home, we had dinner, ran to mom and dad's to show them our little cowboy and our cow, came home for a little more trick-or-treating, helped with baths, got the boys into bed and mom and I left on our adventure.

We headed to Starbucks, always a good place to start, and we were on the road at 10:12PM. Mom drove first and took the whole Friday night/early Saturday morning leg of the journey. We've decided we don't travel really well together because we would both rather progess on the journey than eat or, sometimes, sleep. But by about 4AM I was beat! We found a hotel about 4:30 and were in our beds by 5AM. Then up at 9AM and on the road. I drove this part - and it was definitely through the hills of West Virginia and into Virginia. We actually saw, on the interstate, walking in the median, a man in full camouflage carrying his hunting weapon. A little scary. Okay, a lot scary!

We arrived at our destination, my friend Kelly's wedding, with 15 minutes to spare. It was a wonderful wedding and she was an absolutely gorgeous bride. I have never seen anyone look more like Cinderella. I used to babysit her, go to church with, teach her class at church, etc. Her family moved some time ago but they still have family here and we've kept in touch over the years. I was so thankful for the opportunity to attend her wedding. Just to see how happy she looks and to hear her friends and family talk about how she's grown into a young woman who is as beautiful on the inside as the out, meant so much to me. It was a really nice time - a very personal ceremony, beautifully decorated reception with yummy food, perfect weather, visiting with some old friends, and the cutest favors - a whole table of candy in glass jars and bowls and little bags to make up your own sweet treat concoction (such a cute idea). But, the bride and groom eventually rode off into the sunset and mom and I got back into the van and headed toward home. We only made it about 3 hours that night. I guess the lack of sleep the night before finally caught up with us! We found a hotel, had a good dinner, and got some much needed rest before driving the final 6 hours the next day.

So, to sum it all up - we were gone 42 hours, actually driving 18 of those hours, plus stops for gasoline, food, etc,; logged just over 1100 miles on the minivan; attended a wedding and reception (about 4 hours there); slept twice, and hit two Starbucks. Good fun. Now I need a nap!!

No comments: