Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Summer Break 2012 - crossing things off

Last week we crossed a couple of items off of our list.  [I'm going to have to pick up the pace for sure if we're going to finish the list!]  There was an absolutely beautiful mid-70's and sunny kind of day and we jumped on the fabulousness of it and headed to the zoo.   My parents give us a zoo membership each Christmas and we really love the flexibility of it - no guilt in only staying for an hour or two when you can come back anytime you want.  However, this was definitely not a short trip.  I have to say that this trip was fantastic!  I packed a backpack - and it had lots of room leftover!  A definite perk of the boys getting older is being able to travel a little lighter.  It makes spontaneity more do-able and not so "oh no, what did I forget?" scary.

The other really great part of this trip was that Seth really wanted to watch the animals.  Normally he walks up, says, "Oh, there's the lion.  Let's go."  And off we go.  But, this time he could read the signs and really wanted to watch the animals.  I think he would've spent an hour watching the otters get in and out of their little pool.   It was a really fun time.  I might have to take something else off of the list and "Zoo" again. 

To me this sily picture screams, "Yo! We're at the zoo."


If you know me, you know this wasn't the highlight of the trip for me, but they have two new aviaries, one with more 'domestic' birds and one with more exotic birds.  I think.  We walked by and I kindly pointed them out.  We did NOT go in. 
To me, these nasty bats and the birds are pretty much on par.  However, Seth was telling me about a show and tell at school where a classmate brought a hairless cat.  I was ready to go on and on about how gross that must have been when Seth just calmly looked at me and answered my 'was it hideously ugly' question with, "Well, that IS the way God make it."  Okay, got me there.  So I really do try to remember that God made all of these creatures, so it's not my place to discuss how gross some of them are.
The train ride is always a highlight of the trip.  You really don't see much but you are ON the train!
Max sits with Mommy on the train.  I love how he is so sweetly holding my hand (and looking up at me).  He is just a really sweet little guy.  He loves the 'choo choo.'
I really thought these were his sunglasses, but looking at this picture, maybe I'm wrong?

As much as I don't like birds, I do like tigers.  Not sure why.  They are just big and beautiful.  The zoo has a newer setup where you can get really close to the tigers.  Yes, it is very thick glass.  We have visited a few times since they updated this exhibit, but the tigers are never very social.  This day, they were pacing back and forth right in front of the glass.  It was pretty awesome to see. 
Yes, that is Max in his stroller nearly looking the tiger in the eyes.  He wasn't even bothered by it.  Not knowing that the tiger could really hurt you is probably a good thing, huh?  Max noticed a lot more of the animals this trip.  He would wave his sweet little wave and yell, "Hi, Buddy!" 


 It was definitely one of my favorite zoo trips!  Here's to hoping the rest of our summer list provides for some equally fun memories!

Later that week we were also able to mark "Dunkin Donuts" off the list.  Friday, June 1st was National Donut Day.  They gave away a free donut with a drink purchase.  So, after Luke's tumbling class we all had donuts for lunch.  Then the boys had nuggets for dessert.  Some days you have to mix it up!  NO idea who that fourth donut belongs to.  You know, the one with the coffee.  Hmmm....

No comments: