Saturday, May 19, 2012

I wrote this little post back in November or December.  NO clue why it never got posted, but here you go...


Actual dinner conversation:
Seth:  Mom, did Jesus have a family?
Me: He had Mary and Joseph, but no wife or kids.
Seth: HUH? Why would he marry Joseph.  They're both boys.
Me: No, MARY, his mom.  Joseph was his earthly father.
Seth: No, mom.  Jacob was the father.  [Yes, their Bible stories have been about Joseph.]
.....

A few minutes later, the Casting Crowns song "East to West" came on the radio.  I love all things Casting Crowns so the boys hear the songs a lot.  
Seth:  Mom, is this song about Christopher Columbus?
Me:  No, why do you ask?
Seth: Because it says he knew how far the east was from the west.  He had to know that, right?

A month or two ago I picked Seth up from school and he told me that there was a mayor who got shot.  I was thinking, 'should I have had the news on?  How does my 5 year old know this?  What's happening?'  Then he followed it up with, "and then Obama became mayor."  We chatted a little while longer and the first 'mayor' was shot at a theatre.  Ahhh, now I get it.  I just think we missed a *few* years between there.
[Side note:  Seth refused to go into the movie theater (after we bought the movie tickets and tried to surprise him with them).  I thought this was bizarre.  My dad pointed out that the 'mayor' was shot in a theater.]

A few days ago Seth said, "I can't wait to get to Heaven."  Now, I know this should be all of our attitudes, but I will admit that sometimes I struggle with hearing Seth say that.  Totally selfish on my part.  I am always supportive of this conversation, but my mind wanders.  Anyway, I asked why.  He usually answers because he wants to see Jesus.  This time, "I can't wait to meet Abraham Lincoln."  mm'kay.

I think I have a BIG thinker on my hands.  I'm guessing about two more months of kindergarten and his thoughts will be over my head!

No comments: