Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rookie Run 2012

I exercise to feel stronger and healthier and to set an example for my boys.  I hope they will just always be active and not have to struggle with weight or body image, etc.  Dave has lost a lot of weight and is exercising also - setting a great example for them!

At the mini marathon expo there was a place to register your kiddos for the Rookie Run. For a small fee they got a race bib, t-shirt, and a sweat band, and then upon completion of the "race" they got a medal. They both think my medal is pretty neat so I figured that, for a medal, they would do it. Seth went back and forth about doing it but finally decided it would be fun. His cousin was doing it too and for a few months they are the same age so they were able to start together and I think that was a pretty big selling point too.

The race was short.  A block or so for the older kids and a little less for Luke's age.  I wouldn't even call it "organized" chaos - mostly just chaos.  All of the 4 year olds lined up, with a parent, and then they would just take a handful of them at a time, warm them up, tell them go, and then they ran.  Luke did go on his own, where some of the parents were having to run with other 4 year olds.  And they did have them pinned in and you had to have a little tear off piece of their bib to prove they belonged to you before you could take them away, so that was a little organized I guess. 

All in all, the boys had a great time and Seth can't wait to do it again next year!  Luke might feel the same way but he doesn't express himself in quite the same manner. 

And here are some pictures to recap the day:

My smallest guy was too young to race, but not too young to sport some fine sunglasses!

Luke, running in his sweatband and race t.  He meant business!

So proud of his medal, and tiny bottle of water.


Seth's turn - getting his game face on. 


 Seth racing.  He was SO funny.  I was telling him what an awesome job he did when he finished and he said, "Uh, mom, I stopped and walked a bit."  Uh, Seth, so do I!  He knows that I don't ever dream of racing to win, just to finish, and I hope that helped him not feel bad about walking a bit.

My boys and their cousin, with their medals.  That's a fine looking group of finishers!

No comments: