Monday, February 28, 2011

Who is this person?

So, I got some wild notion that I was into craftiness. As a FB friend told me, [paraphrasing], being my mom's daugher, there has to be some craftiness in there. However, I did not get the 'visualize' gene, which in my opinion, makes it difficult to make things. I can't imagine in my head what something will look like put together. Or I over-imagine and then am disappointed when I'm done. But, recently, a couple of food blogs I was checking out also had some crafty ideas and I really liked two of them. One was a scarf. I like scarves. They move the eye away from the body and toward the scarf. Probably just wishful thinking, but I'll continue to think it. The other was some adorable felt rosettes. The project on the blog was actually a rosette Valentine wreath. I'm planning to make the wreath in pastel colors for Easter but I thought the flowers would look cute on a pin with the scarf.

So, I set out Saturday to purchase supplies. I'm going to share this part because it was SUCH a cheap project! For the scarf I just needed a t-shirt and fabric glue. A local craft store had their plain t's on sale for $2.50. I bought an XL so I was sure to have enough material. I considered buying a yard of t-shirt type material, but it was $5.99/yard and I really wanted it to be cheaper to make this scarf than to go out and buy a scarf.

Then I bought pin backs to glue the flowers onto. [Sorry, I'm not a jewelry maker. I'm sure there's a word for these.] Here's where I messed up. I bought the biggest ones I found at the first craft store (on sale for about $1 for 10 of them) and thought they were fine so I didn't look at the jewelry stuff at the other two stores. Yes, I went to three stores, but that was part of the fun! Anyway, I need to go back and find more of a circular base on which to fit more flowers. My pin was way too tiny for my scarf. Anyway, I picked 3 colors of felt that I liked together. Two of the sheets were $0.25 each and the third was glittery so it was $0.50. I think I could get at least 8 flowers out of a sheet so they were about a nickel a flower to make (and I have plenty of felt left to make the flowers for the larger pin).

So, here's the finished product. The verdict is still out. Dave doesn't like it at all. But he's not really big into women's fashion (thankfully, I guess) so I'm not sure. I wore it to church and didn't hear anyone laughing out loud at me, but I didn't have anyone beg me to tell them where to get such a fabulous accessory either. HA! There is a second scarf that's more of a scarf/necklace that I also plan to make. Hold your breath waiting for those photos too!

No comments: