Friday, June 11, 2010

A very busy weekend...

Mommy and Max on his non-scheduled birthday


Dave introducing Max to the older boys

Not this weekend or last weekend, and not Memorial Day weekend, but the weekend before promised to be very busy! We knew our baby was scheduled to be born mid-morning on Sunday, May 23rd. I know - on a Sunday? Yes, my doctor was to be at the hospital that day anyway and I would be exactly 39 weeks pregnant so that was the plan.

And we had things to do still to get ready. I spent the first part of the week cleaning the upstairs. I started cleaning the downstairs but lost interest partway through the week. I made sweet tea and homemade cinnamon rolls and did laundry. And made sure the boys were fed (over and over again).

My list for Saturday looked something like this: eat cinnamon rolls; tidy the house (again); wipe up the bathrooms which were cleaned earlier in the week; clean the downstairs; pack hospital bags for me, David, and the baby; paint my nails; David wanted to mow the grass; buy Seth some sandals for summer; take pictures of the boys kissing my belly; and finish it all up early enough Saturday to just spend some time hanging out with the boys in the evening - our last night as a family of four.

So, when Dave got home a little early Friday afternoon and the boys were refusing to sleep - just being really loud and rowdy in their room - I thought maybe we should go ahead and go shop for Seth's shoes and get that done. Dave and I headed up the stairs and I grabbed the basket of the boys' laundry I had just folded. Dave said he would carry it for me. I made a comment about the worst thing that might happen is that my water could break and I could not have to try and sleep for 2 more nights this large and miserable. Ha ha ha. Silly me. But apparently I wasn't that excited at the prospect as I let Dave have the laundry basket.

But as I put the clothes away it became quite evident that the baby wanted to pick his own birthday, whether I had carried that basket of laundry up the stairs or not! I wonder what Seth thought as we had just told him that we were going to go buy him shoes and in 10 seconds we changed our minds and were hustling around a little like crazy people (remember how packing the hospital bag was on Saturday's list?).

I called my parents, dad was at home and headed right over, and mom was on her way home from work and came staight to my house. Once dad got there and we sent the boys downstairs David and I threw my stuff into a bag (I had started packing and had a list but couldn't find a pen so it was that annoying, repeatedly-reading-the-list-to-see-what-the-next-missing-item-was).

And the rest is history - basically my water broke at 5pm, we got to the hospital at 6pm and our new baby was born via c-section at 9pm - 37 hours before the scheduled c-section. Dave left for awhile to go home and pack his bag, which gave my parents and sister a chance to come up and meet Max. Feel free to ask my mom and Gretch about their time in the supply closet! And both kept saying how great I looked (which was really just code for "Hey, you're not puking yet!" More on that in a future post.).

No comments: