Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Santa Claus came to town!

We are quite fortunate to have a connection with Santa Claus. As such, he is good enough to make home visits and hear all about the Christmas lists in person. And even bring a small gift in his big red bag.

These are last year's photos. Most of you know Seth is not the bravest little boy. The handshake was as close as he got in 2007. I think he only left Dave's arms to lay in my lap last year. We were so fortunate to get to experience this in the comfort of our own home, rather than plunking down the ridiculous mall price for a 10 second photo op!
So, imagine our surprise this year when he practically jumped into Santa's lap. Seth didn't know the jolly old guy was coming by. He and I had had a discussion or two during the day about being extra good in case Santa had questions about his behavior, should he drop by or anything. So, around dinnertime Grammy and Grampy stopped by to see Seth and Luke. And just a few minutes later we heard loud jingle bells at the front door. Followed by a distinct 'Ho, ho, ho." I asked Seth if he wanted to see who was there. I opened the door and Seth stood in awe for just a moment and then said, "I want a tractor!" It was very much the voice of, 'just-in-case-I-forget-later, let's-get-this-out-there-NOW!" And the next thing I knew he was on Santa's lap. I missed just a moment because I had to bury my head in the stairs and compose myself after his little request.
Seth and Santa had some discussions about what else Seth might want for Christmas, whether he was behaving, and what Lukey might want. Luke didn't seem to mind at all and just sat there like a big kid taking it all in. This, even though we found out a few hours earlier both of his little ears were infected! Aarrggghhh!!
Santa brought a gift for each of the boys and when he pulled them out, Seth told Santa it was Jesus' birthday. I was quite happy with that moment. It is so hard at 2 1/2 to balance the concept of Jesus and his birth and what is really important with wanting them to feel the wonder and awe of Santa. And Santa understands that and reiterated to Seth how important Jesus' birthday is! So, all in all, it was a great visit.

Funny two year old moment: Santa asked Seth if he could show him to the door. Seth stood up and pointed in the other room, "there it is." We suggested he walk Santa to it, and Seth was glad to do so. So sweet...

No comments: