Thursday, February 11, 2010

Allergy humor (a few days after the fact)

So, about a week ago Luke was not feeling well - coughing, sneezing, runny nose. Plus, he had chewed through his last paci, rendering it completely unsafe and causing me to cut the tip off (which, of course, perplexed the little guy but made him "choose" to give it up). Suffice it to say, no one was sleeping at night and Luke's daytime 'whine factor' was OFF the chart. So, I called the doctor and made an appointment. Since the story wanders from here, I'll tell you now, he just had a cold, our pediatrician suggested a couple of over the counter meds to help him rest better and all is well.

However, once we checked in they needed to copy my ID and my insurance card (first visit of 2010, of course). They gave both back and I walked to my chair and sat down. Luke went to play with random waiting room toys. I looked away long enough to put the cards in my wallet and the wallet in my backpack. I looked back to check on Luke and he had a pencil box, which he had opened, and inside the pencil box were peanuts, in the shell. Aarrgghhh!!!! I jumped up, ran over, tried to (somewhat) politely find their rightful owner, but no one was 'fessing up. Perhaps my little "honey, you can't have those, you're allergic!!" frightened the rightful owner?? Anyway, I baby-wiped his hands and face down and he was just fine but oh, the irony, that our closest call to an allergic reaction was IN the pediatrician's office. HA!! (Funny now. Now that my heartrate has gone back to normal.)

And the second story, I would probably have to blame myself. WHAT?? I have a weakness for chocolate. So, I'm no saint. I have a secret stash. That said, Friday morning played out something like this: Seth slept in. Really slept in. Dave thought this was cute. I thought this could not be a good sign. I finally woke him. He said he didn't feel so good. He walked to my bed and got up in it and laid back down. Luke and I had been waiting on him to eat breakfast so Luke and I went downstairs to fix breakfast. I threw some frozen french toast sticks in the oven. They were nearly done when I yelled up to Seth and asked him if he was coming downstairs. His response? "I don't feel so good and I just got sick in your bed." So, I ran up the stairs to check on him. Stripped the sheets off my bed to throw in the washer, scooped him up as he wouldn't walk down the stairs. I could hear the timer going off on the oven, etc. so I hurried downstairs. I walked Seth over to the couch to lay him down and looked into the kitchen. Luke had long ago undressed himself - he can get out of a zip up sleeper like nobody's business! He, clad only in a diaper, had pulled a chair up to the counter and was furiously eating these:

Chocolate drool was everywhere and he was thrilled as could be. Who doesn't like dark chocolate for breakfast? Especially dark chocolate complete with a "may contain coconut and almonds" warning! He stayed undressed for awhile so I could keep an eye on him. He got one hive and never had any other issues. Schwoo. I just kept thinking, who can get here quickly and doesn't mind a puking child if I have to take Luke to the ER?
As for Seth, this is how he spent most of his day. I knew he was miserable when he slept through Chuggington, Disney's latest train show and his current obsession. Even while Luke screamed "Chuggggginnnngtonnnnnnn." Thankfully, he only got sick a few times and by 7PM he was begging for food, telling me what a mean mom I am as I would only let him have toast and gatorade all night.

1 comment:

累了 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.