Thursday, May 14, 2009

Humpty Dumpty's got nothing on me...

So, I cut my pinkie finger about a week ago. Really really silly. Luke had some goldfish crackers. Seth knocked them on the floor for me. I reached down to pick them up and caught my finger on the fancy leg of our microwave stand. Ran some water on it and moved on, thinking, this really hurts.

It hurt. It hurt to type with that finger. It hurt every time I accidentally bumped it on anything. It hurt. It was throwing me off. I was seriously in some sort of funk because my pinkie hurt. But you know how, sometimes when people think they are funny, they will offer to injure something else for you so you won’t think about it? [ex: ‘let me smash another finger so your pinkie won't hurt. Hee hee ha.]

Well…. Saturday morning Luke got up at 6:40. Ouch. He let me sleep on his floor for about 10 minutes while he peered over the crib at me but then he was done. So, Luke and I went downstairs to hang out for awhile. Saturdays are cinnamon roll days and I was not baking the rolls at 7AM while the other two cinnamon roll consumers slept. Well, Seth then decided 7AM was a lovely time to get up. But he still doesn’t get out of bed until we enter the room (in the morning anyway, naps are different). So, I put the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs, ran up to grab Seth and started down the stairs. Then I heard Luke with the crazy noisy ball popper toy. Dave was still sleeping and there was no need for both of us to be up so I wanted to grab the ball popper and make the noise stop. I placed Seth over the gate (thankfully, and can you tell where this is headed?).

I always climb over the gate. Much to my mother’s dismay if she is at my house watching me do it. It’s at the bottom of the stairs. And it’s too much trouble to take it down every time I need to go up and down the stairs. So, I put one leg over and that’s when the ugliness began. And ended. My leg got caught on the gate. The lovely purply black bruise in the shape of the top of the gate tells me this is true. Then the other leg had some issues too I guess. A small bruise on the other knee would indicate such. When it all ended, I was on my bum at the bottom of the stairs, looking up toward the top of the stairs. Seth and Luke standing not far glaring at me. I am crying and yelling for David (so much for peaceful sleeping).

He came down the stairs and had to pry the gate out of the stair rail, where I had wedged it. Amazingly, it still works – even if it is a bit crumpled.

I tell you this story, not to have people comment, ‘oh poor Cara,’ because I’ll be just fine. Just some bruises. I am thankful that I didn’t break anything. I took a couple of minutes to compose myself and came back downstairs to eat cinnamon rolls. But there is a sweet Seth story to follow…

Seth has been really into acting like he’s an animal lately. After baths he’s a duck and will say things like, “Sweet dreams Mommy Ducky.” So, at naptime Saturday Seth wanted me to lay down with him. This is the usual naptime plan for Seth. And he usually only lets me stay about 2 minutes and then he dismisses me. But Saturday I was lying there with him and he just said, “Baby Kitty wonders why Mommy Kitty fell?” It was so sweet and caring, in a 3 year old pretend kitten kind of way. [Of course, now he has moved on to, 'Do you remember when you fell Mommy? That was funny!"]

2 comments:

Jill said...

HA ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa!!!! I do feel sorry for you, but you make it very hard not to laugh!!

Lynette said...

Ohhh - not a fun way to start a Saturday morning!! A broken bone would've at least allowed you time off! :)