Thursday, May 14, 2009

Grocery chatter...

This topic seems to be popular of late. My two, occasionally patient, little guys have had the pleasure (??) of accompanying me to 3 grocery stores in 2 days. This is primarily about the bargain hunting, but a little bit about logistics. See, Luke must be strapped into the cart as he loves to escape. So, he must ride in the normal spot for young children. And then Seth rides with the groceries as it's just too much to constantly watch him while he wanders and touches while I'm trying to shop. So, the basket fills up quickly with Seth and the groceries. Seth doesn't mind as he loves to lay down in the basket (fetal position) when we first arrive and the basket is empty. Then he likes to build towers out of the groceries as they start to accumulate. Which means I am constantly discussing the food going into the cart: 'this is yogurt, do not squish the yogurt as the container may come open'; 'this is glass, do not build with it'; 'this is chicken, just don't touch it'; etc., etc., etc.


Then there is the chatter. Constant chatter. So, just to set the scene, Tuesday we went to Meijer first. After which I came home, unloaded the car, gave the boys lunch, put away the groceries while they ate (it's getting too warm outside to leave the frozen stuff from store one in the car while we shop at store two), then loaded them back up and headed out.


I planned to shop with purpose at Wal-mart, finish the list, and get the boys home to naps - preferably before time to eat dinner! Let me also add that Luke must be teething as he desires to chew on the cart. Ick!!! So, rather than the cart I shoved my hand between his mouth and the cart so he could chew on it. Lovely, but you do what you have to do. So, as we are wandered through Wal-mart, the chatter began.
Seth: Look, Mommy -yogurt!
Me: Uh huh.
Seth: Look, Mommy - a cow on that sign.
Me: Hmmm...

Then it happened. Seth decided to play Baby Kitty/Mommy Kitty. So, the dialogue changed:
Seth: Look, Mommy Kitty - cheese.
Me: Yeah.
Seth: Could you say, 'yeah Baby Kitty.'

Every single time. The need to be addressed as Baby Kitty. Now I'm all for a healthy imagination. But it's grueling to remember it
each
and
every
time.

So, being me, I just busted out laughing in the middle of the frozen food aisle. I didn't even bother to look around and see who was looking at the crazy lady in the frozen food section.

And then it happened. I'll close with his request. "Mommy Kitty - could you stop and scratch behind my ears."

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh, this is TOO much, Mama Kitty!

Lynette said...

Soooo, did you scratch behind his ears! :)