Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Times they are a changin'...

To me, nothing says "big kid" like that first ride in the grocery/store cart. Appropriate for me that Luke's first ride was at Target. It's a big deal for me because I think my least favorite stage in baby time is that awkward period where babies are too big for the big infant carrier that sits in the seat and yet not big enough to hold their own heads up/sit up in the cart without falling over and smacking the sides. But Lukey mastered this skill mid-September so we are unstoppable now! Of course, timing is everything and he recently fell over, asleep, in the cart. So, I'm remembering to take a sweatshirt of mine in case he needs a little pillow! Then there's this milestone! He spent a good deal of time like this. Just like this. On all 4's, motionless, and staring at whomever would look his way. But about a week and a half ago, he put some motion behind it and scooted/crawled a bit. Grammy was here, along with Mommy and Daddy, to witness the big event. He's now unstoppable. My role has changed immensely. I'm planning to record a few key phrases so they can be played over and over (Seth, pick up your Hot Wheels so Lukey doesn't try to eat them; Seth, that is a baby toy and Lukey can have it; Seth, give that back to Lukey; Seth if you are going to take the Hot Wheel from Lukey you need to give him another toy) so I can save my voice for the really important stuff (Luke, let go of that electrical cord; Luke, not the wrought iron candlesticks - okay, so Seth didn't crawl until he was almost 11 months old so I thought I had some time!).
Also, there have been some "big boy baths." Luke has been using a little stand alone baby tub on the top of the sink, but courtesy of a need to bathe IMMEDIATELY one morning, I found out he does quite well in the bathtub. However, bathing both boys in the same tub is best if both parents are available. So, he's not completely free of the baby tub, but he does seem to enjoy the big tub.
And finally, a tooth! Grammy actually found it (do you Grammy types just stick your fingers in there when we Mommy types are not looking or what?). I seem to recall my mom finding Seth's first tooth too. Anyway, a picture of the tooth itself might have been nice, but have you ever tried to photograph a baby's one and only little bitty barely poking through tooth? Yeah, good times. But he loves to feel the tooth with his tongue, so that's what you get instead!

And finally, Seth is now 2 1/2 and he rode the carousel at the Museum. There are no pix as even I could not hold him on one horse, hold Luke on another horse, and take pictures of the whole event. I figured a call to Dave explaining a need for stitches, but a really great picture of the whole thing, just wouldn't be good! Anyway, Seth has previously either flat out refused to ride or got all excited about riding then cried the whole time! Well, my aunt gave me a little carousel that plays Christmas music and Seth begs me to turn it on at least once a day. So, the next time we went to the Museum I asked him if he wanted to ride, he said yes, and I nearly had to hold him back in the line. And we rode twice! I'm so happy that he's becoming a bit more adventurous. Guess that 1/2 after the 2 in the age makes a big difference!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh Cara! I loved this post. So many new things happening and you always have such a way of telling them. Congratulations, you two cute boys!