Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Seth

I have a to do list that is growing by the minute, but that's another story entirely.  I want to take a few minutes and get some thoughts down about each of my sweet boys.  Tonight I'll start with Seth.  And yes, I set my timer again so I'm going with it and posting and not thinking too hard.

  • Reader.  Although he would rather play outside or play on the Wii or play a game on the Kindle or one of our phones.  I love that (1) he has to start working on a book report for school and (2) he has an "assignment" to read 15 minutes a night 4 or more nights a week.  LOVE being able to say he has to read and him not having room to argue.
  • Fears embarrassment.  I am learning with Seth that he often seems fearful but I think the real fear is embarrassment.  I'm not sure he fears something bad or scary happening as much as he fears not knowing what to do and doing the wrong thing.
  • Argumentative.  Sometimes I think he doesn't even hear what I'm saying because when I start to talk he is already formulating a different opinion.  No matter what I say his opinion will be different.  I am learning he and I are a lot alike and this will likely always be an issue that we will have to work at.
  • Social.  This kid knows everyone's name at school and loves to greet people by their names (very politician-like). 
  • Talkative.  Yikes, he could talk your ear off!  He was playing the Wii the other day while I was working on something at the table.  I was focused on my task and he was playing alone.  It suddenly hit me that he had not stopped talking the entire time.  Talking to the Wii, trash talking the Wii, talking about his Wii skills.  I really think he has a promising career as a sports commentator.
  • Smart.  He likes to learn and school comes fairly easy for him.  He rushes too much and often wants to just be done but if he can slow down he's great. 
  • Growing up.  He had a bad case of poison ivy and the doctor warned him the medicine didn't taste great.  However, I was glad to be able to reason with him that the short time he would have to taste the icky medicine was SO worth the benefits of the taste.  He's been a trooper and is feeling much better! 
  • NASCAR fan.  He knows every driver's name, number and sponsor.  One day we were watching a race and he said, "That's [insert whatever driver's name]'s wife."  Huh?  Who knows that?
  • Big brother.  This goes both ways.  The younger two pick up on his bad habits but, wow, Max adores his Sethy!  And sometimes I think he actually has a glimpse of understanding how important this role of big brother is. 
     
Okay, I'm at 13 minutes.  Must move on for tonight...

No comments: