Monday, January 30, 2012

11 Good Things from 2011

I have NO idea why I start posts and nearly finish them and just ignore them for weeks at a time.  It is so cruel to my loyal readers mom and sister.  So, weeks late...

I have heard a LOT of people commenting that they are glad to see 2011 go.  So, I thought I would share some kind words about the year 2011.  Following are 11 good things from 2011 - silly, serious, certainly random...

1.  As mentioned in the last post, my picture a day album.  Of course, it became more of a week by week album as there were just days that weren't photo worthy.  But, still it's nearly a complete a book.  It feels good to not be another year behind in scrapbooking.

2.  My Nook.  WHAT a great little toy.  [Thanks, hubby.]  I don't read nearly as much as I would like, but I do read more now that I have it.  I can borrow a book from the library at 11 at night in my jammies.  How much more convenient does it get?

3.  Songs.  I love the song "Do Everything" by Stephen Curtis Chapman.  If you are a parent, you can relate immediately.  Win-win, he made a silly little video that the boys love to watch, so they are entertained and I get a good reminder! 

4.  I participated in a Beth Moore Bible study this summer.  I know some people love her.  Others are not so enamored.  I enjoyed the study.  Something she said really stuck with me.  God doesn't make all new things.  He makes all things new.  We have to remember enough of where/who we've been to appreciate where/who we've become.

5.  Seth and kindergarten.  He LOVES LOVES LOVES it.  His teacher is fantastic.  He is learning to read and I think that is terribly exciting.  I love to read and so much want the boys to love it too. 

6.  Luke's new allergy doctor.  I love that he works only with kids.  He explains things in a way that just makes sense.  He is up on the current research.  Riley is an incredible place.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that he gave us some potential good news relating to at least one of his allergies.

7.  The iphone.  I know - two technology references.  But, it's really great.  There are fun photography apps and some games and books for the kids.  It's nice to have a little something to distract them with in a pinch.

8.  Max is the perfect baby of the family.  I'm not saying he's perfect.  Although he is pretty awesome.  But, he is perfect at being the baby of the family.  Seth and Luke will settle in to watch a movie and he spends most of that movie running from one to the other and messing with them.  He's also getting quite good at screaming in their faces when they take "his" toys. 

9.  This quote from the pastor at our church a few weeks ago - "God meets you where you are."  Again, I've heard it time and time again, but I'm a person who thinks everything has to be in perfect order before I can start a project.  As a result I spend a lot of time preparing things and not much time doing things.  I think I just needed to be reminded that God doesn't expect me to be in a certain place to spend time with Him.  Just do it.  No prep work needed, so to speak. 

10.  "My" word - commit.  It really was a neat concept, having one word to make you stick with something and strive for some things.  2012's word to come...
11.  My husband.  This is not unique to 2011, of course!  I kept asking him to contribute a couple of 'good' things from 2011.  Let's just say he's not been very serious about his responses.  But, I'm incredibly thankful for him - for working hard to provide for his family, for being a loving dad to his boys, and for supporting whatever insane idea I have this week. 

Alright, now that it's almost February, time to move on to 2012!

No comments: